We protect and defend America’s heroes.
The Veterans of Foreign Wars is the nation’s largest combat veterans' organization, serving and honoring 2.1 million members in approximately 7,600 Posts worldwide. Ever since its founding in 1899, the VFW has donated millions of volunteer hours, been a strong supporter of our country's youth, a major promoter of patriotic and educational efforts and an unwavering advocate to our military, its veterans, and their families.
Some of the battles we’ve fought and won include:
- Improving services for women veterans at VA medical centers
- Establishing the Veterans Administration
- Developing the national cemetery system
- Acquiring compensation for Vietnam vets exposed to Agent Orange and for veterans diagnosed with Gulf War Syndrome
- Creating a new GI Bill for the 21st Century
The VFW welcomes ALL veterans.
In forming She Serves, the VFW specifically honors the service and sacrifice of female veterans who have served faithfully in our overseas conflicts. This sisterhood of support fosters camaraderie among VFW members by connecting women with other veterans who understand the distinct pride of being a female service member.
She Serves…The connecting point for women of the VFW.
She Serves was created to reach out to the women veteran population – a large group that brings vitality, energy and innovation to the VFW. Dedicated to assisting female veterans, the VFW understands that women military members confront issues that their male counterparts do not.